17 September 2011

Pain Relief for My Aching Left Leg

I did get to my treatment on Friday.  I wasn't sure, but we loaded everyone up in the car.  Brendan drove me. Treatment lasted a whole total of 4 mins and 29 secs.  Boy Child wasn't impressed.  He wanted to go on the train, and I don't think the light booth was as cool as he hoped.


I also had an appointment with my GP in the afternoon. I am proud to say that I drove myself.  For some reason, Girl Child came with me because she asked if she could.  Pain Relief was the only topic of conversation.  I have a list of other questions I want answers to, but I gotta get this leg pain under control.  I can't live my life because of it.


He asked me how my week was with the pain.  I told him the truth.  He did another physical exam of my leg.  Nothing he could find out of the ordinary.  He wants me to get an X-ray; not that he thinks that he will find anything, but he will would not be a good doctor if he didn't definitely ruled out a fracture.  That happens on Monday or Tuesday, just a matter when I have time and/or help to get to the place.


Since the Panadeine wasn't really doing anything about my pain, he stopped that and instead put me on Panadol Osteo SR 665mg.  It is slow release so it should last longer and it is stronger than regular Panadol.  I still take  Ibuprofen 400mg as well.  I am also to keep up with the heat and the support bandage.  I have to call later in the week to discuss the X-ray and if I need to come in to see him.


I take all my 'scripts to the Chemist (or a Pharmacy). I remember that sometimes when Panadeine couldn't kill my migraines that sometimes Mersyndol would work.  So I picked up some of that too, and yes, I listened to all the advice and warnings about taking it with the Panadol Osteo.  Mersyndol has Panadol (parcetamol) 450mg, Codeine 9.75 mg and something called Doxylamine Succinate 5mg, which has a calmative/sedative effect.  


My leg was killing me when I got home.  I took a Ibuprofen and 2 Mersyndol. After a half hour, the pain was gone.  Completely gone.  It was amazing.  About an hour after I took it, I had a 4 hour nap.  I was so sleepy; I couldn't stay awake.  With this med, I have the choice of being awake or being pain free.  It will be used in emergencies.  I still have to tell my GP that I am taking it.  


I started on the Panadol Osteo and Ibuprofen combo today.  So far, it does help.  The pain is still there, but it isn't as bad.  The real test will come on Monday when the kids need to go to school and I will need to go to treatment. 

No comments: